In anticipation of our 40th birthday (July 27, 2012), we've got cake on the brain. Better yet, mini cakes. Cupcakes are cheerful lil’ things. Can’t really put my finger on a reason, but they are. And it turns out, other people, or at least publishers, must agree, because there are countless books on the topic of cupcakes!
Part of what makes any cookbook appealing is the appetite-grabbing photography, so, this week, just for fun, I've rounded up my selections. Here are the Top 10 Charming Books on Cupcakes…
1. Cupcakes! by Elinor Klivans offers up 50 mouthwatering, delicious recipes that are sure to tickle your palate. User-friendly, this simple cookbook also covers supplies, ingredients and successful baking techniques.
2. Bake Me I’m Yours… Cupcake: Over 100 Excuses to Indulge by Joan and Graham Belgrove features 100 ideas for baking, decorating, displaying, serving and consuming cupcakes – the small cake with BIG potential. Sponge cakes, icings and frostings, and ideas for embellishment and display.
3. Cupcakes Year-Round: 50 Recipes for Every Season and Celebration by Sara Neumeier offers a platter of full of delicious recipes for the kids and grown-ups, with recipes organized by season. In addition to recipes for batters, it includes syrups, fillings, and icings.
4. Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse by Kaye and Liv Hansen is filled with delightful cupcakes, small cakes muffins, and other mini treats. Presenting 60 fabulous new recipes for little decorated cakes and cheesecakes, bundts, cupcakes and more-all in fresh flavor combinations
5. Cupcakes by Susannah Blake features passion fruit butterfly cakes and orange almond cupcakes. You won’t be able to resist whipping up a batch.
6. Cupcakes: Over 80 Delicious Recipes for All Occasions and Tastes by Sue McMahon offers 80 delicious recipes including recipes for traditional cupcakes, fruit-based cupcakes, themed cupcakes, and special-diet cupcakes that include mouthwatering gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, reduced-fat and reduced-sugar recipes.
7. The Cupcake Deck (Cards) by Elinor Klivans, the author of Cupcakes (see number 1), shows off 25 scrumptious ways to bring smiles faster than a kid can lick the batter off a beater.
8. Sweet Designs: Bake It, Craft It, Style It by Amy Atlas is a showcase of sweet cakes and sugarscapes! You can take on this DIY with the help of this celebrity event planner's book. Amy gives you tips for dressing up store-bought treats and craft ideas to create a dynamic dessert table for your next party. Presentation is everything!
9. Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn offers creative ideas and 135 recipes for tiny, delicious cakes from chocolate ganache to toppings with panache, tempting recipes for children and grown-ups, for special days and everyday, lunch bags, holiday festivities, and an unexpected dinner party dessert.
10. Tempt: Cupcakes to Excite by Betty Saw brings to mind fun and colorful little cakes in attractive cases with beautiful toppings, with a decadent serving of 75 recipes.
Who's hungry for a cupcake now? Stay tuned for details about our birthday party and fantastic deals happening at your local HPB to celebrate our 40th.