For those that know me, there is one thing that everyone can unanimously agree on. I am a HUGE Marilyn Monroe fan. I’m not quite sure the why, how, or when that it started, but from a very young age I was in love with Marilyn Monroe. Maybe it was her beauty or the fact that I had no idea who this woman was, but yet I saw her face EVERYWHERE. Over two decades, I've built my collection of Marilyn memorabilia from books, puzzles, plates, glasses, figurines, posters, purses-- the list just goes on.
As I’ve grown older, I’ve come to realize the reasons why I love Marilyn so much. I adore how every photo of her captivates you. You’re forced to stop and look. How you can see the difference between Marilyn Monroe and Norma Jeane in the pictures. Marilyn – the bombshell, the legend, the sensual woman full of humor; and Norma Jeane – the sad, unsure girl who, just like all of us, lacks self-confidence and just wants to find love. Like so many others I’ve read countless books and biographies about Marilyn Monroe, and watched every movie (most multiple times). But, my favorite things about Marilyn have always been her quotes. Her words are so simplistic yet inspiring. Each one has a truth behind it, and so many are words spoken by Marilyn that we think inside our heads but never say out loud about the insecurities of being a woman, the worries of not being beautiful enough, the process of trying to gain confidence in yourself.
Here are just a few of my favorites:
- “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”
- “I am good, but not an angel. I do sin, but I am not the devil. I am just a small girl in a big world trying to find someone to love.”
- “If you're gonna be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty.”
- “I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it.”
- “Success makes so many people hate you. I wish it wasn't that way. It would be wonderful to enjoy success without seeing envy in the eyes of those around you.”
- “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend.”
- “I want to grow old without facelifts... I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I've made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you'd never complete your life, would you? You'd never wholly know you.”
Happy Birthday to the woman who became a legend, to the woman that will always remain young and beautiful, and to the woman who never found out who she really was.